Welcome to Dungeon Fighter Online Forums!
A Dungeon Fighter Online fansite, based around the mechanics of the game.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Why I made this site

Discussion in 'SSA Announcements' started by LHCGreg, May 11, 2010.

1. LHCGreg Code monkey like Fritos

So yeah, on a certain DFO Source thread, there's no little debate about the quality of DFO Source. I figured I'd set the record straight on why I created SSA.

• Number one reason: Dom doesn't care about DFO or about DFO Source. If it doesn't affect the bottom line, it doesn't matter to him.

• Related to the above, I made a wiki bot program to automatically create wiki articles related to skills, and in the future it will be able to do more. Having a bot able to automatically upload images (like skill icons) requires MediaWiki 1.16 or higher. DFO Source, being on shared hosting, is probably unable to upgrade to a bleeding-edge version of MediaWiki, and even it was, it might take a while to get through to Dom. It took a while to get his attention to put SeriaBot in the DFO Source wiki Bot usergroup. I PM'd him about it, but no response. I had to post in one of the few threads he paid attention to in order to get his attention about it.

With my own VPS server, I can run whatever software I want, including the very latest MediaWiki version.

I also didn't like the idea of my wiki bot benefitting someone who doesn't even care about the game.

• Rules that I feel were somewhat ineffective. I feel that a points system like the one in place at SSA and Southperry makes moderators less reluctant to hand out infractions than if a single (non-major) infraction results in a temporary ban.

• Server stability - Browsing DFO Source gives a relatively large number of "internal server error" pages and database error pages. This would make it hard on the wiki bot.
  2. Stream Is Starting Anew.

Lol. I said the site was a great success. D:
    Way back in December.

Yea the best reason I think for you creating is the lack of a wiki.
  3. Shirobon Wizard Of Orz

My #1 problem with DFO Source. :/
  4. Infection Cool story, bro

Server stability and Dom's apathy are the main reasons I'm leaving DFOS. It's great to have a site owner who actually gives a damn.
  5. saccharin That one crazy witch

Not gonna lie, every time I try to use the modCP and it gives me internal server error I throw a fit.
  6. MasPan Shi-SHAW!

I got pretty sick of hearing about search engine priorities every time his "leadership" is questioned.
  7. Heidi Member

Yeah, I noticed how much he brings that one up. In a way his forum is very successful. He's probably making a lot of money out of it, which is what he wants. Kinda frustrating, but that's just the way it is.

And I just learnt that he's actually from the UK. So he isn't even in the DFO service area, and from what I can see he doesn't even play DFO.

I am not actually a member of DFO Source and I'm not going to make an account there, but wow does this guy make me lol. I'm a person who believes that people shouldn't just be working for money, but for enjoyment and interest too. He's ONLY in this for the money from what I can see. Our admin here is very committed to DFO and to helping the DFO community (To the point that he's probably a bit obsessive, but that's just his personality, lol), which should make this a nice forum to be a part of. I feel very lucky that this place has started right around when I started playing DFO :D

I see a good money making opportunity. Opening up a popcorn stall at DFO Source Spam forum so that people have something to eat while watching the drama!
  8. saccharin That one crazy witch

I'm going to stick around for sure, because this site is like a concentration of the cool people.

Still going to be at DFOs because of the mod duties though. I don't abandon ship halfway through.
  9. FenixStryk Member

I'm glad you finally went through with this, LHC. I too tired of dealing with Internal Server Errors, high-profile trolling and Dom's relative disinterest.

I'll do my best to keep this place lively. I hope everyone else will do the same.