Welcome to Dungeon Fighter Online Forums!
A Dungeon Fighter Online fansite, based around the mechanics of the game.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

How to change the sounds in the game

Discussion in 'DFO Modding' started by LHCGreg, May 5, 2010.

1. LHCGreg Code monkey like Fritos

First, you'll need version 2.2.0 of DNF Extractor, a Chinese program. Earlier versions will not work. You could download it from the Chinese site which seems to require registration but I've put it up on megaupload for convenience. I also included 1033.ini, the file containing English translations of all the text in the program (Google translations by the look of it). I got the English translation file from Photon here. If anyone can read Chinese and is interested in making a quality translation, let me know and I can guide you through the process of creating a translation file.

Use the installer to install DNF Extractor. It also includes extractors for a couple other games. After it's installed, copy 1033.ini from the megaupload .zip file to the Language\DNF_Extractor directory of the installation directory.

You will need to keep the game's SoundPacks directory as it is or else the game will detect that it doesn't match the current version and patch over it. Make a copy of DFO's SoundPacks directory and name it SoundPacksCustom.

Next, you'll need some sounds that you want to replace current game sounds with. Sounds must be in .wav format. If the sounds you want to use are in another format like mp3, you must convert them to wav. One way of converting mp3 to wav is to use Audacity, a free and open-source audio editor. Simply open the mp3 in Audacity and choose File->Export as WAV.
    [IMG]

If there's only a portion of the sound file you want to use, just press space to play the file and then use the cursor to highlight the the part you want and choose File->Export Selection as WAV. For more advanced audio manipulation, consult Audacity's documentation.
    [IMG]

Now that you have your sounds, it's time to open up DNF Extractor. Use the top box to select the .npk file in your SoundPacksCustom directory that contains the sounds you want to change. In this walkthrough, we're going to use sounds_npc.npk and change some of Seria's sounds because she's right there when you log in and so it willl be easy to see if it worked. Click the "Analysis File" button and the left side of the window will be filled with all the sounds in that .npk file. You can click on each sound to play it.
    [IMG]

Find a sound that you want to replace. I suggest starting with se_tk_01.wav, se_tk_02.wav, and se_tk_03.wav. Those are the sounds for Seria talking to you when you click on her so it will be easy to test if it worked. Right-click it and choose the Replace option. Set the "Files of Type" box to "All files" and find the .wav file you want to replace the sound with. The program will take a couple seconds to update the .npk file.
    [IMG]

When you're done, simply exit the program. You will get a warning about the new file size not matching the original. You can safely ignore this, the replacement should still work.
    [IMG]

If you don't already have it, download DFO Control Panel. DFO Control Panel is a program by me that allows you to start the game without using the website and can start the game windowed, automatically close the popup at the end of the game, and can switch the soundpack directory with a custom soundpack directory after the game checks to see if it needs patching but before the game actually starts. That last feature is what we need here.

Use DFO Control Panel to start the game, making sure the "Switch Soundpacks?" box is checked. If the box is grey, check to make sure you have a SoundpacksCustom directory in your DFO directory and that if you are using a 64-bit version of Windows you are using DFO Control Panel 2.1.1 or later.
    [IMG]

Test to make sure your replacement sounds work. If they do not, go back and check all the steps to make sure you did it correctly.

That's it! Remove annoying sounds from the game, make a mixed soundpack with other versions of the game, or maybe get together with some friends and do some amateur voice acting.