Welcome to Dungeon Fighter Online Forums!
A Dungeon Fighter Online fansite, based around the mechanics of the game.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

GUIDE TO MONK PUNCHING

Discussion in 'Priest Guides' started by Ridureyu, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Ridureyu Old Man

This is not a guide on how to punch monks, as the average friar or shaolin will be very upset. Instead, this is a guide on how to properly punch as a Monk, including the brand-new awakening.

This is a very short guide.

1. X COMBO PUNCHING.

The priest's X combo is annoying in that, unlike other classes, simply mashing X will not give you your attack speed. Instead, you will punch slowly, likely at a pitiful rate. priest punching always has this pattern, but it is more important for monks - monk speed is generally higher, and they have more punches (and no weapon swing).

The trick is to hit X whenever his fist is fully extended from the previous blow. For example, the first blow has a couple of frames. One for holding the arm back, and one with an extended fist. While his fist is extended, pressing X will release another punch. The FIRST input counts, and if you mash, it will miscount, cycle, and make a later press cause the next punch. The first two punches move at the same rate, and thus your rhythm should be the same for the first three. The third punch is a little slower to come out, and you must compensate in your rhythm for the uppercut. If you have Combination Mastery, then there is a fifth blow - again, you have to time this according to the different timing of that uppercut. A well-timed fifth blow can juggle people surprisingly well, turning your basic X combo into a ten-hit affair.

What's the best way to do this? Practice. Sit in a practice room and hit the buttons. Learn how to angle your fingers to make the rhythm "natural." Be aware that even a 1% increase in attack speed can throw you off, and thus more attack speed it not always better. Learn to go with the flow - a tiny bit of lag can RUIN your punching, especially if it affects the framerate. Punching also seems quicker and more fluid in PVP than PVE. In general, the timing is far more forgiving post-patch than before, buit it is still easy to screw up. Heck, whenever I receive an attack speed increase of even 1%, I usually spend at least a day flailing ineffectually before my fingers get used to it.

2. BIG BANG PUNCH

Big Bang Punch is a PVE skill. it's an awakening, and it's not the strongest awakening - but it's very easy to think fo it as half as strong as it really is. The move description mentions hitting X or the hotkey repeatedly, but it is not very clear and the description gets cut off by the bottom of the screen, anyway. It is NOT the same as X combo punching, and is in fact the polar opposite.

1. Do not mash. The first button press counts as the ONLY one for this little minigame. Screw up, and you fail.

2. The time to hit the button is when your Templar's fist is back as far as it will go BEFORE the punch. For each blow in Big Bang Punch he rears back, hesitates for a split second, and then attacks. The time to hit is during that hesitation. Pretend that hitting the button is the actual punch.

3. The timing is different for each blow. The first is slow, the second fast, the third medium, andthe fourth slower than the first. Learn to get used to it, and try not to get tripped up between hits two and three.

4. You will know that you got a punch right when you see this:
    [IMG]

The final blow can have the same effect, but ONLY if you succeeded on it after messing up on at least one previous one. If you land every blow perfectly, it looks like this:
    [IMG]

Your fist did that. Congrats!

If it helps, study this video and pay attention to his arm movements and the timing involved:

And don't cry for Seria.
  2. Stream Is Starting Anew.

The flow of pressing x Thing...
    I tried doing that on my fighter alot of times...
    It just feels very very very very strange to not be mashing my keys.
    Like im not going fast enough.
    Since I dont have the feeling of going fast.

very very strange.
  3. Ridureyu Old Man

Everybody whgo parties with me knows how hilarious it is when I gain 1% attack speed from something, and then flail around ineffectually like a crusader with an axe.
  4. Nirvanasa Grape Drank....

This. Is. Success.
  5. Gloomy dicks

The whole X timing thing works with pretty much all classes. I think what causes it is a combination of latency (ping) and actual attack window (the game won't accept an input until a certain point during an attack).

There might also be a certain amount of keystroke syncopation as with Rangers (revolvers choke if you mash the key).
  6. conewicci I dun goofed.

It gets to be super easy, though, by the way, to get the timing for Monks, if you just keep on playing. Nice stuff though, I never knew about this.
  7. geenareeno Not gReenareeno

wow that's really cool thanks for posting. Also how the hell do you play with f1-6 as your hotkeys?
  8. Ridureyu Old Man

I don't use them. Those are there so I can check cooldown. The only hotkeys I actually USE are A, S, and D. A because it's easier to buff that way, S because twister and machine gun are too similar, and D because Sway is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier as a single button press.
  9. geenareeno Not gReenareeno

Wow so you combo everything else?
  10. Ridureyu Old Man

Yeah. I've played a lotof fighting games.
  11. Vsior New Member

Thanks for this, helped a lot.
  12. Ridureyu Old Man

To be honest, my speed varies a LOT. Watch me in a dungeon. Some combos will be blindingly fast, others will be slow. It does seem a ltitle easier in PVP, I've found - the rhythm appears to be slightly relaxed.
  13. conewicci I dun goofed.

It felt like I was mashing it, but after reading this, I just mashed my keys like I do for HnR or MGJ, and it was a lot slower than my normal "mashing." Probably the same thing happened for you, it just kinda naturally turned into the right tempo.