Welcome to Dungeon Fighter Online Forums!
A Dungeon Fighter Online fansite, based around the mechanics of the game.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

The Monk And You- An All Around Guide To Monks.

Discussion in 'Priest Guides' started by Inpachi, Aug 10, 2010.

1. BlanixTheBlood Perfect hair

The Monk And You- A All Around Guide To Monks.

Judging on how things are being argued, PvP.
  2. Inpachi New Member

Alright i just started the Passive & Buff section. I think i am done for tonight its 2:30 AM. Ill finish the Buff section along with part of the Equipment section tomorrow Good Night All.
  3. BlanixTheBlood Perfect hair

Scythe mastery is pointless. Rather than getting the mastery because scythes are faster can be changed by equiping the scythe after placing the totem.

I'd also like to say that exquisite combo is amazing not to max because it does so much damage and happens so fast that even with gravity triggered, it will juggle the enemy with all 3 hits as long as its timed right. Gets faster per level.
  4. Inpachi New Member

I understand that scythe argument i just thought i would include that possiblity. If you notice i still say its overshadowed by Totem Mastery at the end. Also if you dont think Exquisite Combo should be maxed what level should it be at?

I was just about to turn off my comp when i saw your comment. Ill be back on tomorrow bye for now.
  5. BlanixTheBlood Perfect hair

You must have misread what I said. Max exq. combo for sure. But if I absolutely had to not max it, I guess 5 for cancel.
  6. conewicci I dun goofed.

Exquisite should always be maxed... you can't really make a build without it maxed, and it's not only for damage but ALSO for making it become faster.
  7. BlanixTheBlood Perfect hair

1. Needs more reasoning why you can't.
    2. I pretty much said this already.
  8. conewicci I dun goofed.

It's like making a Monk without Ducking Dash or Sway, it's super important. The damage it does is great, it lets you follow up with a DD/Sway move, and it lets you go past the damage cap for juggles.

And I'm sure if some nub read what you said, they'd assume they'd be fine with level 5 + cancel and attack speed avatars.
  9. BlanixTheBlood Perfect hair

That is an extreme exaggeration. Duck and sway is the monk's basis. I could play my monk without using exq. combo with ease.

Explain to me why I am so severely gimping myself by not maxing it?
  10. conewicci I dun goofed.

I know it's a hyperbole, but I was using DD/Sway as a sort of reference toward bnb subclass skills. Exquisite is simply... amazing. No reason to not max it. It's like asking why you not maxing Quick Parry is severely gimping myself.
  11. SpyydeR A Sharp Blunt Object.

I have to put my two dollars in here.

Body blow, not liver blow. We aren't Dudley. :p

For the uppers, I would change it to say "minimum of lvl 10" instead not going higher than 10. You can play with lvl 5 uppers fine, but I feel 12-13 uppers to be more "optimal" imo. If you're worried about launching too high with shadow, well that'll happen with lvl 5 uppers too, and ur probably doing it wrong. My 2nd upper is 12 and I never launch very high with it.

Also, higher uppers are better for getting into ur shadow combos. Gives ur more time to setup for the reset/combo after you cast it, or actually let u pull something off if u don't have cast speed. Probably most importantly, high uppers are good for stalling for cool downs. If theres no break between ur skills its harder to recycle them for your combo if you need too.

You left shadow clone out of the guide, but im just gonna say max it for now(lvl 6).

Twister...that made me kinda sad. No reason to get over lvl 1 for a pvp build. Phoenix Hammer, no. This skill is only "ok" at a high level, and totally worthless for a monk. Its very easily punished. waste of sp imo.

Are you going to get into pvp/dungeon tactics, or is this just another build "guide"?
  12. geenareeno Not gReenareeno

LOLWAT
  13. Inpachi New Member

Just finished the Skill Section. And yes Spydder i will be getting into PVP combos/tactics in the VERY LAST section and maybe even include a dungeon or 2 that are very hard for monks to solo.
  14. Inpachi New Member

If you notice i say Level 1-5 or Max for twister. I personally would max it. Because find this skill extremely useful in all situations. And i still disagree with the whole Upper over level 10. I think 10 should be the max for all the uppercuts.

And i can be Dudley if i want..

And Phoenix Hammer is worthless to most. But some people actually learn it. It depends on your playstyle. For instance you can Phoenix Hammer - Smasher - Place Totem To Stun on wakeup - XXX - Liver Blow - XXXX - Second Uppercut - Ducking Upper Cut- Smasher - Retreive Weapon and do it all over again...
  15. SpyydeR A Sharp Blunt Object.

my uppers are 12/10 right now, and I want both of them higher. Gives you more time to adjust to the enemy's DI, and more air time to allow skills to cool down. Its also nice to be able to 2nd upper > smasher heavy opponents that are downed.

The dmg to sp ratio for twister just isn't worth it, and the dmg is still decent at lvl 1. Its main purpose is to be a distraction anyway since most ppl avoid it like the plague.

Ive never seen a monk make real use of phoenix hammer, or an exo tbh. Its way too slow, and has a small radius at lvl 1, and you can be easily grabbed out of it by any class. GWL would be a better option in every situation.

Edit:
    Max strike is a MUST for all priests.
    Cure is a MUST for pvp. Cures blind from sould benders and manteau.
    I lol'd hard at max sacred. That should never even cross someones mind.
  16. Rdogg Code Kirin

Phoenix hammer is a pretty decent punisher but thats if you intend on maxing it i guess.
  17. BlanixTheBlood Perfect hair

Just because you disagree with having higher level upper doesn't mean you are correct. In fact a lot of what you said is not very accurate for proper information until we corrected it.

So far you have been really vague on what kind of build this is. Is this for PvP or PvE? I thought it was PvP, but saying stuff like maxing twister is something you do for PvE. In PvP all it does is scare people away and make them run around, making it do more damage is not actually going to make much different when they only get hit 5% of the twister's duration.
  18. Inpachi New Member

Cross Counter CAN be maxed. Most just keep it at 1 which i recommend. And Twister CAN be maxed as well. Strike is not absolutely needed for all priests... Neither is cure... Those 2 are both prefference choices... Especially cure. And guys you have to realize i have work. This guide is labeled An All Around Guide To Monks. I will add PVP and PVE choices later on and change the template around a bit. This guide is gonna take me a week or 2 to write. Dont rush me. And Blood you never actually corrected me on any of the skills. The only reason they were wrong in the first place was due to the fact that i was basing off my own personal prefferences. Which i quickly changed to a more general lay out.

I realize that if you wanted a cookie cutter top tier just by stats alone PVP build you would keep Twister at 1. I understand this you dont have to keep yelling that at me.. I added the option to max it for the PVE choice. Like i said this guide is WORK IN PROGRESS!

Anyways i wont be going into the equipment section today like i planned maybe tonight. But as of right now im busy and cant do it.
  19. BlanixTheBlood Perfect hair

[IMG]
    Prototypical I am so sorry I treated you like that on my own guide.
  20. conewicci I dun goofed.

Don't max Furious Grab. No real reason to max it, it does its job at 1 perfectly fine.

Cure and Strike, Cure is invaluable in PvP, because blind is a bitch, and Strike is an amazing hit rate buff.

Slow Heal is shit. No reason to max it.

Twister should be left at 1, unless you're going PvE, in which you have the option of maxing it or not.