Welcome to Dungeon Fighter Online Forums!
A Dungeon Fighter Online fansite, based around the mechanics of the game.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Minimum number of chars or stop infracting for short posts

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by MasPan, Jun 4, 2010.

1. MasPan Shi-SHAW!

Don;t give us the capability to make a short post if you're just going to infract for it :/

I can't believe I'm actually supporting Stream...
  2. Ring "...that's my role."

( *-* )

I support this
  3. RawrBomb New Member

It'll be like DFOSource all over again, with the lol10char nonsense, and yes I lurked there enough to see this. I think the point is you CAN make short posts, but they must contribute something. "Uh-Oh" on it's own is not a valid post. Maybe if Stream quotes something troublesome and says "Uh-Oh" it'd be a valid contributing post. Bolding parts of a a quote and not saying anything would be a valid post on it's own, albeit pushing the spam rule.
  4. Ring "...that's my role."

uh oh can have a meaning to a few members...sure not all or the mods but it still has a meaning Im sure.
  5. Dante9898 ~Derail Master~

Things like this should be made clear by a mod or greg to avoid more "Unjust" infractions or w/e you want to call it
  6. Kateya Pro Flame Kicks

Sigh for infractions.......Super Sigh for Unjust Infractions lol
  7. Stream Is Starting Anew.

Ok Next time I do something like that I'll be sure to quote and bold so I wont get random infractionsss.
  8. MasPan Shi-SHAW!

The point isn't honestly to have a mod impose a 10 char limit - it's to establish what exactly is an "acceptable" short post. There are only so many words that can fit in <10 char, maybe an image or something. Really, there's no point in allowing it if you're just going to infract for it though.
  9. Soushin The Novice

I'm against the implementation of minimum char.

You can make short posts, keep it meaningful and helpful.

For instance, if someone asks "What class has the skill Shoulder Tackle?", or "Where can you get burning hearts?", or "How much is the Royal Ring worth?". All of these questions have helpful answers that are one-word posts: "Grappler", "Scoria", "18m". These are just simple examples.

But when you post something like "Um...", "Uh-oh...", or "( *-* )", they don't contribute to anything. They're not even words, so don't even say that they're "one-word" posts.
  10. Divine Supreme Dictator

Overzealous modding on an inactive forum is a horrid combination.
  11. Ring "...that's my role."

What Divine said
  12. MasPan Shi-SHAW!

I'm inclined to disagree - sometimes a facial expression says a lot that's harder to put into words. It certainly doesn't hurt things, and it's not malicious.
  13. Dante9898 ~Derail Master~

I agree but they should be limited to certain subforums like srz bsns, siusha tavern, art and similars where a facial expression can mean something in there.
  14. ElectricSix *Insert witty title here*

And pointless posts make things better somehow? I don't really see the need to post a face or one word for most things. The times you can use one word, you could just as easily tack a few more words to a post and make it a sentence at least. Everytime I see someone just posting a face or one word in reply, I think they're either lazy or just don't care enough about the topic to make a more meaningful contribution.

@MasPan: Really? (*_*) or (>_<) or some other face expresses posts better than words? I just don't see that being true in any thread. Now if you combine those facial expression along with a sentence, I could see that bringing on a different meaning to what you posted. As without body language and cues, it's sometimes difficult to tell whether someone is joking, serious, sarcastic, etc. But again, I can't think of a reason to post just a face. May not be hurtful, but as it adds no meaningful input to thread, I don't have any problem with people getting warned/infracted for such things.
  15. LHCGreg Code monkey like Fritos

"( *-* )" is almost always going to be spam, unless it's in a thread like "What's your favorite emoticon?" (or in srz bsns). If you have trouble telling the difference between an acceptable short post and one that is spam, ask yourself "Do I need to add anything to this post to clarify its meaning? Is this post on-topic? Does this post add to the current discussion?"

"Uh-oh" and "Um..." fail the first test. Why are you saying "Uh-oh" or "Um..."? "( *-* )" fails the last 2 tests (unless the thread is "what's your favorite emoticon").

If you still can't tell the difference and want to avoid spam infractions, just make your short posts longer.

A facial expression by itself generally doesn't say a lot.
  16. Kateya Pro Flame Kicks

How about if they repeatedly are doing this then it should be considered an infraction? I mean some people do use one phrase that has no real meaning. So I say at least let everyone get that one shot in and if they keep repeating it on a normal bases start imposing infractions? I mean its in a sense you're not enforcing the law to piss people off but you are enforcing it enough so that it does not seem like you are not caring. Cause obviously you do since this is a topic.
  17. Fynl Lunchbox Hero

Sometimes, maybe (I can't think of any but I'm not gonna say never), but unless it's understandable and on topic, rather than an inside joke between two posters that's completely unrelated and unknown to people (mods specifically, I suppose) it's off-topc.

If someone makes a post that asks, do you like fast food, and someone says simply "no", that's fine. If, to answer that same question, someone does only ">_>", does that mean anything? Is it helpful? On topic?

I agree facial expressions are great at expressing emotion online, but posts with nothing but a facial expression don't explain anything most of the time.

That's what we do. People are warned but repeat offenders get infracted.
  18. Kateya Pro Flame Kicks

Then I do not see the true form of this thread lol? (Close?) Cause honestly this is just going to increase the chances of full enforcement so I just suggest people stop complaining when they get infractions from put this up ^_^ as a comment. I think the short uh huh stuff could have like two more words adding on. Like Uh-huh no way. Do not make your lives super complicated. Someone said earlier we have stuff like that in the sections that have nothing to do with DFO so I agree thats where it should stay.
  19. Dice Dragon Level 46 Manzer Brodor

Im normally in favor of emotes cause I love them.

But honestly, Responding with just an emote can be seen as silly. So instead just be like.

This makes me sad face. :<
  20. Greg Space Cowboy

Show me one short post that didn't deserve a spam infraction. Do it. I dare you.