Welcome to Dungeon Fighter Online Forums!
A Dungeon Fighter Online fansite, based around the mechanics of the game.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

IRC channel is moving

Discussion in 'SSA Announcements' started by LHCGreg, Nov 19, 2010.

1. LHCGreg Code monkey like Fritos

The SSA IRC channel is moving from Freenode to SorceryNet. The reason for the move is that the channel is not entirely on-topic for Freenode and I wish to respect the wishes of Freenode regarding what the network is intended for.

The new channel has been registered and set up. To get to it, connect your IRC client to irc.sorcery.net and /join #superswordaction. The move is not official until Friday, November 26. The link to the webchat client will be updated when the move is official. If you use a real client (not the web chat client), please join both the old channel and the new channel to make the move smoother.

SorceryNet was chosen because it is one of the only networks I could find that meets the following criteria:
    • Offers standard NickServ and ChanServ services (this eliminates QuakeNet, GameSurge, and many others)
    • Has a web-based client available
    • Allows bots (strangely, every Rizon server I tried says it forbids bots in its MOTD. And yet Rizon has a reputation for being a place to download fansubbed anime from file hosting bots.)

I'm thinking of doing a DFO trivia contest on IRC after the move is made official. Stay tuned for details.
  2. BlanixTheBlood Perfect hair

Does this trivia entail prizes?
  3. Soushin The Novice

Can mibbit be used for this? I like mibbit.
  4. LHCGreg Code monkey like Fritos

It might...

I have 28 questions written so far. I'm aiming for at least 150 or 200. Topics will include all aspects of DFO and some questions about SSA and its community. Foreign DFO versions will not be covered.

I think it can be. I haven't tried it. A lot of networks only allow a certain number of Mibbit connections because all Mibbit users appear to be from the same computer.
  5. tails360 I have a CAPE.

How about ChatZilla?
  6. LHCGreg Code monkey like Fritos

ChatZilla will work with any IRC network.
  7. saccharin That one crazy witch

everyone quit being lazy and download mIRC
  8. Heidi Member

I am amazed that Grag hasn't mentioned this, but he has set up a general knowledge trivia bot for us in another channel on the new network. (The name of the trivia channel is in the channel topic of the new channel). That is going to be lots of fun :)

Something I like about this new network is that it is a lot smaller than the current one. While a lot of nicks will still be taken, there will be more free. I got the nick "Heidi" on this new network! :D
  9. BlanixTheBlood Perfect hair

Oh so its a trivia bot? What should we call this one?
  10. LHCGreg Code monkey like Fritos

It's still GSDBot. You can find him in #ssa-trivia on the new network. It currently has the quizbot default question set loaded, but after the DFO trivia contest, I think I'll leave the DFO questions loaded and accept question submissions.
  11. Heidi Member

Could you make it so that we can chose the question set to use when we play?

The defaults ones are interesting
  12. LHCGreg Code monkey like Fritos

No, at least not without custom scripting which I am too lazy to do.
  13. Heidi Member

Then I say we keep the original ones or it's just going to get boring very very quickly as people will have memorised half the answers of a smaller question set.

We're also going to see a lot more really amusing responses from people with the original question set.
  14. LHCGreg Code monkey like Fritos

The move will be official as of this Friday. At that time the original channel will be disbanded.
  15. tails360 I have a CAPE.

Don't pull a Nexon :trollface::ice tiger right:
    >_>
  16. LHCGreg Code monkey like Fritos

Huh? You mean a "this server check has been delayed 1 hour"? All I have to do is send a single message to chanserv.
  17. Heidi Member

Do you remember the channel's password though? :p

*is boredly waiting at the airport atm*