Welcome to Dungeon Fighter Online Forums!
A Dungeon Fighter Online fansite, based around the mechanics of the game.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

~General Striker Discussion Thread~

Discussion in 'Fighter Guides' started by Orihalcon, May 8, 2010.

1. Orihalcon The Dream Will Guide...

Hey hey hey. I'm going to recreate the striker thread over here so that way everyone gets to learn about the most awesome fighter in DFO.

I figured since Grapplers and Nen Masters already had one, id make one for the most kick ass fighter in the game. We all know who that is, but if you cant tell, ill give you a hint: Its not grapplers, NenMasters, or Brawlers.

The Striker Discussion Thread

Okay first off Im going to explain a little bit of the Striker fundamentals. Some of these apply to other fighters to, so Im sure that you not-as-awesome fighters can get something out of this as well. Keep in mind, Im a generally PvP oriented player, but I will try to make suggestions to help all you PvErs too.

Fundamentals

1)BE THE BULLET. As a Striker, you are one of, if not THE fastest class in the game. You move fast, and strike hard. A lot of this comes from the fact that fighters have a really high base movespeed, but the real source of a strikers speed is YOUR NORMAL ATTACK. Thats right, your XXXX combo is your bread and butter. Fighters can travel REALLY far distances by holding forward while spamming X, and since Strikers have SOOO many cancels that travel long distances, their speed is UNPARALLELED. While gunners shoot bullets from their Guns, we ARE Those bullets.

2)CANCELS. You want the majority of your cancels as a striker. PvPwise, you use them to approach, combo, and generally pwn. PvE wise, you need low kick cancel and crushing cancel to do infinite combos on groups of mobs. THIS IS HOW STRIKERS PVE.

3)MUSE COUNTERING. As a fighter, Muse Uppercut is one of our most important PvP skills. You use it to start juggles, and its the source of some of our highest damage combos. But its also one of our MOST important defensive abilities. Its super armor on a short cd, so use it to block unavoidable setups like Grenade lameness and as a defensive approach.

4)TORNADO KICK CANCELINGMy god I cant explain the rage I have when I see fighters who dont use tornado kick correctly. You can cancel tornado kick by hitting jump, and follow up with a jump kick. Its one of your main openers. Learn it.

5)SUPER ARMORZ! SUPER ARMOR IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT STRIKER SKILLS FOR PVE AND PVP. There I said it. Super armor is important. Less so in PvE ill admit, but you should still raise it. You dont want to have those massive damage combos interrupted do you? PvPwise, YOU SHOULD CAST SUPER ARMOR THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY YOU GET. This move is how you faceroll people in PvP, and without it your job gets much harder. The sooner you use it, the more you get to use it in a match, and two super armors in one fight can be devastating to your opponent. Get good at catching people while super armored (XXXX approach helps here, since its not slowed down by the buff).

Weapons

Strikers use Boxing gloves. No ifs, and, or buts. They are the fastest option fighters can get, AND they are the second strongest. The biggest reason to use anything else would be for the range, since gloves have short range. As such, the ONLY other option for Strikers are tonfas, since they have huge range and awesome evasion/hit buffs too! Even so, there are a small amount of tonfas that you should consider using.

I GUESS in PvE if you really wanted to, you could use gauntlets but meh.

Boxing Gloves
    Wind Inhaler-About 5mil- Level 40. 3% Move/Attack Speed. Get this.
    Victory Road-About 1mil- Level 40. Meh.
    Northern Glimmer - No idea - Level 45. Probably the second best pve option, number 1 being the...
    Talon Glove-Saw one bought for like 110mil- Level 40. Free stuns and huge counters ahoy. Sexy.

Tonfas
    Rapid Brandish-Around 5mil- Level 35. 5% attack speed and very fast.
    Ghost Chaser-No idea. I bid 7.5mil for one and lost- Level 45. 3% attack speed 2.5% move.
    Sky Twister- Level 50. Not in our version, but just be aware of its awesomeness and existence.

Skills

This is the meat of the thread so lets get right into it. Im going to say suggested levels for each skill, and give a personal opinion on them. Im going to assume you already know what the skills look like, and if not, check the wiki. This is all stuff for level 50, if you want ill make suggestions for 60 as well. If its not listed here, dont get it.

Grappler

Suplex: 1, 5/cancel(pvp) - You always want suplex. In PvE it breaks super armor, but In PvP you NEED 5/cancel to end and extend combos.

Neck Snap: 0, 1, 2 - You dont HAVE to have Necksnap for PvE, but its still good and id recommend it. For PvP you NEED level 1. Its another super armor break, has huge range, and extends combos. If you where boxing gloves its perfectly possible to combo out of level 1 necksnap. 2 is fine too though, and it will guarantee a follow up.

Nen Master

Doppelganger: 3, 4, 5(All Options PvP) - You want this in PvP because it limits enemy movement and distracts gayness like landrunners/tempester/twister. Not needed for PvE

Brawler

Crouch: 0, 1(PvP)- Not needed for PvE, but in PvP its GREAT for dodging attacks.

Striker

Muse Uppercut: 5/Cancel, Max/Cancel(PvP) - Bread and butter folks. Max it in PvP for juggle awesomeness and defense. In PvE its not necessary to max, since there are much better ways to do damage.

Hammer Kick: 5, 5/Cancel(PvP): I defended this skill too the death before and i still stick by it. The cancel is used in PvP to approach, and you can combo out of it. In PvE its only needed as a prereq for lightning dance.

Low Kick: 10/Cancel - PreReq for bonecrusher, and the cancel works for both skills. Low kick cancel is how you do damage in PvE however, and you still want it in PvP.

Airwalk: 5(PvP), 11, 18 - 5 is the prereq for tornado kick. 11(4 kicks), and 18(5) are both options for pve. Im not going to outright make a recommendation for them, but i know i use airwalk a lot in pve, even though mines only at 5

Tiger Chain Strike: 5 - Prereq for beat drive. The last hit has MAJOR hit stun so if you manage to land it, you can combo out of it. I say no Tigers Roar, since you dont use chain strike enough to warrant it.

Super Armor: MAX - BREAD AND BUTTER SKILL. MAX FOR PVP. NO EXCEPTIONS. PvE I STILL think you should max it.

Crushing Fist: 5/Cancel, 10/Cancel, 15/Cancel, Max/Cancel - SUPER AWESOME APPROACH/DAMAGE/ALL AROUND PWN SKILL. You NEED above 10 for PvP, since the distance it travels increases as its leveled. I recommend max in PvP. PvE you dont need as much distance, but its still one of your main damage skills.

PowerFist:0,1, 4, Max - Max for PvE damage buff. 4 as a prereq for fatal aim. 0 if you dont want fatal aim. I dont have it. DO NOT LEVEL THIS PAST 4 FOR PVP. Level 1 powerfist is for pvp ground comboes. Its not always guaranteed, but it DEFINITELY works now that you can have higher ranks of crushingfist/bonecrusher. BUT YOU NEED THOSE TO DO IT! MAX THIS FOR PVE

Mountain Pusher: 1, 5/Cancel(PvP) - Dont need it really in PvE but its nice to have. PvP you want it as an awesome approach.

Bonecrusher: MAX. NO EXCEPTIONS. - Your best damage skill in PvE, and it has awesome damage and a freakin snare in PvP. I GUESS you can get away with slightly lower than max for PvP and such, but you still want this skill REALLY HIGH UP THERE.

Tornado Kick: 1, 5/Cancel: You need tornado kick. For PvP, the cancel is awesome. YOU NEED SOME WAY TO CANCEL INTO TORNADO KICK FOR PVP. If you dont want to actually invest in the cancel, use backstep. HOWEVER, strikers are hard pressed for Hotkeys, and backstep is another valuable spot taken up.

Fatal Aim:0,Max - Keep at 0 for 50 cap unless your PvE (then max). Max at 60 cap.

Muscle Shift:0, 1(PvP),4(PvP) - You do not need muscle shift for PvE. Unfortunately we are STILL hard pressed to get as much Muscle shift as we want in PvP and are forced to leave it at 1. Whenever 60 comes out, Max this for PvP.

One Inch Punch: 1, 5/Cancel,Max: This move is a hot topic. I know ill leave it at 1 forever, but it is perfectly viable to raise it.

Rising Fist: 1(PvP), Higher: Leave it at 1 for PvP. I would still recommend leaving it at 1 in PvE, but if you want get more.

Lightning Dance:1, 5, Max - Another hot topic. In PvE i recommend maxing it. In PvP however, maxing it isnt always an option, as after level 5 the skill ends away from the target, which is bad since lightning dance is a GREAT skill to combo out of, and is another way strikers do MASSIVE damage. I recommend 1 for PvP.

Beat Drive: 1 - Not worth leveling in PvE or PvP. Sorry folks.

General

Quick Rebound: 1 - I dont care if your PvP or pve, I say you need this skill.

Backstep: 0, 1/Cancel - You do not need this skill for pvp. As a striker you will pretty much always have a cancel to get you out of a situation. However, if you opt out of tornado kick cancel, then go for it, since it is a viable substitute.

Leap:0, 1(PvP) - You want 1 level of leap eventually in PvP, but its fine I GUESS if you get it.

PvP Advice

Once again, too tired for this section. Ill add it later.
  2. Orihalcon The Dream Will Guide...

Combos

Okay guys, instead of writing a big list of all the combos strikers can do (there are A LOT) Im just going to write some of the not as known/more useful combos. Strikers are an EXTREMELY combo focused class and as such have many many ways to string together damage, all of which culminate into a lot of hurt for your enemies.

(Something in Parenthesis) means that its an option to do out of, but not guaranteed or necessary. Most places where jump kick is used can be replaced by airwalk.

PvE Combos

As a striker in PvE, your main focus is to super armor up, gather enemies as well you can, and then lolstanding combo them to death. This offers HUGE dps with little chance of counter attack barring misses, and should you miss your super armored anyway, meaning less damage to you and no dropped combos.

You have to attack in a way to hit with all your big damage skills, while having no cds clash.

xxx > bonecrusher >xxx > crushing fist > xxx > lowkick > xxx > tornado kick (airwalk) > xxx > crushing fist> xxx > bonecrusher

basically, bonecrusher is your highest priority move, so use that first. Crushing fist is another big damage skill, and is used while bonecrusher is off cd to maintain damage. tornadokick and lowkick are generally just filler, since most of your damage will come from crushing and bonecrusher.

PvP Combos

PvP striker combos all involve doing the most damage possible while someone is on the ground and then following it up with a muse juggle. Im just going to post some openers/links/combo extenders/fillers with the expectation that you will have started/ will continue the combo intelligently.

If you have powerfist, you can do some ground combos involving xxx > bonecrusher/crushing fist > linked into another xxx combo.

-Tornado kick > jump kick > neck snap
    One of your key openers. This is how a lot of your combos will get started. Consider using airwalk instead of the jump kick for extra damage (should you get all 3 in) or hitstun (if you can only do one)

-xxx > Low Kick > Neck Snap
    This USUALLY works on people, although it fails sometimes because they walk out of followup distance after necksnap. Level 2 necksnap would remedy this, and is a completely viable option.

-xxx > Crushing Fist > (xxx) > Tornado Kick
    With a higher level crushing fist, it becomes possible to link attacks out of it. A tornado kick is pretty much guaranteed for me at level 13 crushing, but xxx works sometimes too.

-Rising Fist > xx > Muse Uppercut
    Pro combo. I cant tell you how many times Ive done this and people ask me why I dont just use one inch punch. The reason is that if I land this, theres a good chance ill be able to land muscle shift > one inch afterward, or even continue comboing for people with crazy hp/defense. The reason i do xx first is that its alot easier to hit with instant punches than long windup muse, and if the punches land the target will be floated up for the muse anyway.

-Rising Fist > Muscle Shift > One Inch Punch > Bonecrusher > Lightning Dance
    This is the version of the previous pro combo for fatty priests and plate slayers. THIS IS WHY YOU WANT CAST SPEED AVATARS. Well, this and super armor >_>. Always try to muscle shift before one inch.

-Muse Uppercut > Shoulder > Rising Fist
    The much much safer version of muse juggling, this guarantees that you will get good damage in (or even continue) your juggle even if you miss one of the hits. Use the followup combo after this if the rising doesnt break the damage cap or just muscle shift.

-Neck Snap > Lightning Dance > xxx >
    Level 1 necksnap gives enough hitstun to land a standing lightning dance, which if its below level 6 can be comboed out of. Niceness.

-Bonecrusher > Low Kick > Hammer Kick > Lightning Dance > Rising Fist (xxx) >
    I LOVE doing this. On a grounded a opponent after knock down, the damage output of bonecrusher >...> lightning dance in most cases breaks the damage cap and causes the target to stand back up. Which will stand them right back into your rising fist for extra combo lulzyness. Careful though, as sometimes the invincibility of the target getting up will cause your dance to end early, which will result in you looking stupid and wasting rising lol. Sometimes its better to just do xxxx while holding forward instead of rising.

-(After knock down) xxxx > Suplex >
    Last hit of xxxx combo otg's so you can suplex immediately after it with the cancel, similar to the backstepcutter > grab move that WMs use. Good follow up to mountain pusher and hammer kick.

-(After knock down) Low Kick > Hammer Kick > Tornado Kick > REALLY FAST CANCEL INTO Air Walk > Low Kick
    This is your otg option if bonecrusher is on cd. If you cancel the tornado kick quickly enough, you can land the air walk while the opponent is still on the ground.

Okay thats enough for now. If I think of anymore that I use ill just list them here. I dont really think about this stuff when I do it, so I had to brainstorm for a bit to come up with these lol.

More stuff to come whenever Im bored again!!
  3. Orihalcon The Dream Will Guide...

More stuff to come in times of pure boredom.
  4. Orihalcon The Dream Will Guide...

Aight yall can post now if you want.
  5. ArtSlay _________________________

With a pve build, and +10 weapon, what tire would a striker be?

And does lightning dance do 12hits if you have it higher than lv11? Like avatar+gear bonus?
  6. CasualHero New Member

7. GreenTea New Member

Need help fighting WMs in PvP. How should I approach them? Seems like every decent WM who knows how to play the game knows exactly how to counter any approaches.
  8. Feesh Fueled by Haterade

12 hit lightning needs some silly shit. You need lightning level 16.
    For casual:
    Since I'm assuming that's PvP, ditch awakening active and drop passive down to 1. Then grab literally all cancels but OIP. Since you did 60 cap, save 250 SP for seismic level 20. I would honestly skip backstep cancel til it's free. Tornado cancel is SO much better.
  9. NuMbA Light's Out

Level 50 legacy glove +2
    Level 50 epic armor +2

That will get it to lvl 16 for 12 hits
  10. CasualHero New Member

i dont think i can play any character without backstep cancel
  11. Orihalcon The Dream Will Guide...

Preety much everything feeshi said. You may also want to consider maxing muscle shift, or getting level 4 if you dont think you can get a muscle shift top.

PvP fighters really dont need backstep cancel. The other ones (sans oip) are all completely necessary.

Also lol at a mech saying striker is faceroll.

@GreenTea: Outside of rangers, WMs are some of the hardest things to approach. All i can tell you is to try and bait charge crash and Ashe Forke (if they are ACS spamming) and then try and land a tornado kick. Crushing fist sniping always applies, if you can land it.
  12. CasualHero New Member

so...

do like combos not work on monks or something? i would hit with a crushing and before i can follow up he would punch me back
  13. MasPan Shi-SHAW!

Then don't approach, wait for Super Armor buff. Every other Striker does this anyway, and SBs get bitched at for camping :/
  14. Feesh Fueled by Haterade

You need to get crushing fist to a higher level. I consider CF kinda useless or risky for hit stun on non mages/gunners til 10-12. Even with that though, if monks are in their totem aura, don't bother unless you launch immediately.

For WMs, I definitely prefer crushing fist sniping. Tornado is something I don't like to risk because of auto-god and flipside faggotry. Waiting for SA is cool and all but good WMs are always gonna have two grabs and out maneuver you. It's an all or nothing gamble with PF on too if you go with that strategy. Pusher punishing triple/quint isn't awful either if you can force an OTG reset after, but that's a big if.
  15. MasPan Shi-SHAW!

Rising Fist to counter ACS/AF spam works wonders too.
  16. conewicci I dun goofed.

If he's in his Totem buff, that explains it. It gives a really nice +Hit Recovery (500 to be exact) bonus when maxed. Otherwise... no idea why that happens.
  17. Garble o no

Anyone feel like helping me salvage my current skills from around Thanksgiving into a reasonable PvP build? Already have backstep/cancel, which I regret, and Fatal Aim, which I quite like.

My Skills

Not really sure where I should go from here, Fatal Aim has forced me to choose carefully. Skip Beat Drive, Crouch to save sp? Go all the way and max Fatal Aim? May as well get Muscle Shift to 3 and an Ava with it already at two, I'd think. I would really like Hammer Kick's cancel, having seen it put to great use. Grab Kihop for laughs since my skills are already a bit fucked and just roll with it? Hard to decide.

edit: yay for sp reset
  18. CasualHero New Member

so is the passive awakening worth it?
  19. NuMbA Light's Out

IMO I would get for PvE. i might have to run around a little but 150 str seems like it's worth it.
  20. TeddyFace haz face of a Teddy :3

so just out of curiosity what's supposed to go in ~PVP Advice~?