Welcome to Dungeon Fighter Online Forums!
A Dungeon Fighter Online fansite, based around the mechanics of the game.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

DFO Render

Discussion in 'Art' started by gongfuren, Nov 30, 2010.

1. gongfuren GongJiZhe

Hello all, I am new here.

Anyways, I was feeling bored today and I decided to try out rendering, a skill I will need to use in the near future. So, as my first render ever, I cut out the Dungeon Fighter Desperado from its cartoon background. Take a look and tell me what I need to pay more attention to when rendering in the future. Also, keep in mind that this really is my first attempt at rendering. Ever.

Before:
    [IMG]

After:
    [IMG]
  2. VariousGuy Dead Guy

Welcome to SSA.

The render looks pretty good and clean. Nice job.
  3. BlanixTheBlood Perfect hair

Welcome.

And may I request the zerker character art rendered?
  4. gongfuren GongJiZhe

Oh cool, more practice.

About the Hell Bringer render:
    [IMG]

There is a dilemma. Do you want the render to keep those red lightning sparks coming out of his arm? Because some of them overlap with the comic background thing due to the transparent glow. I don't know how to cut out the background without removing the glow from the sparks, but cutting them out may make sparks on the render seem incomplete, if you get what I am saying...
  5. Archie Mexocan

Since it's all in one frame, the glow and the background are basically together. I don't have any experience with rendering, but I've played with image editors enough. You're probably gonna have to draw the glow back, or find a way to "subtract" the background from the glow.
  6. gongfuren GongJiZhe

Alright, I finished rendering the Hell Bringer. Notice that some of the red glow from those lightning sparks may have been removed, but after viewing this result, I decided that it was no big deal. There is a method to keep the glow, but it doesn't seem like it is worth the effort.

Before:
    [IMG]

After:
    [IMG]

This was much harder than the Desperado, due to all of the details from the lightning sparks and his furry underwear. And yes, he really is holding a sword, even though it isn't very apparent in the actual character art. Please give critique on how to improve my technique.

While cutting this guy out, I couldn't help but notice how happy he seems...
  7. BlanixTheBlood Perfect hair

Looks like you missed a bit just above his left arm.
  8. gongfuren GongJiZhe

No, I didn't. He is holding a sword. Really. At least, that's what it looks like in the character art. It isn't very obvious because you can't see the transparency like I can.

Proof:
    [IMG]
  9. AiNoMinako Poke Poke Poke

do the elementalist one next :D
  10. gongfuren GongJiZhe

Do you mean this thing?
    [IMG]

I'll do it, but those pentacles will have to go. I'll try my best to keep the ice shard and the flame, though.

All of that hair saddens me...
  11. AiNoMinako Poke Poke Poke

poor pentacles ;_; but do wat you have to do :D
  12. gongfuren GongJiZhe

...F*CK...

OK, I have a problem with rendering the Arch Mage. I believe it can best be explained through images. This image is the render with the clear background.
    [IMG]

As you can see, I have rendered a bit of the right side out already. It looks pretty good, right? Now, let's view it with a black background.
    [IMG]

Now it looks like shit. Those damn bright lines on the edges pretty much ruin it. The thing is, those bright edges are still part of her clothes. They look like that because of the light from the pentacles. In other words, these bright edges are the reflection of the light from the pentacles. If the pentacles are there, it looks very natural, but when removed, this crappy result happens. Now the obvious question would be why I don't just cut out the bright edges. You see, since they are a part of her clothes, I would be cutting off pieces of her skirt, which will make the skirt have retarded edges. Another solution may be to simply keep in the pentacles to make it feel natural. Actually, since I have no idea how to keep the pentacles in without removing its glow as well, it would still look like crap. It's like I can't win. If anyone knows of a solution, please tell me. I really need to learn how to render more efficiently.
  13. Mark Hyperion

There's nothing you can do except to change the part of her skirt that's glowing to look normal.
  14. gongfuren GongJiZhe

Seeing how the Male Fighter is all the rage these days (God I sound old), I decided to try rendering one out. Take a look and critique please.
    [IMG]
  15. geenareeno Not gReenareeno

It looks really awesome, good job dude. But Nexon didn't do a very good job of that giant scar across his body, looks fake and unrealistic.
  16. BlanixTheBlood Perfect hair

I thought we were better than this.
  17. geenareeno Not gReenareeno

Dammit Blanix i'm going downhill, first it's Neopeople and then it's Nexon. Forgive me.
  18. gongfuren GongJiZhe

I tried rendering the Corsair character art thing. It didn't go so well...

Before:
    [IMG]

After:
    [IMG]

Those red strings under her arm were so f*cking hard, and my result is very unsatisfactory. I now have a new appreciation for those who can render out hair and stuff like this.
  19. geenareeno Not gReenareeno

If you couldn't compare it looks fine. Also why didn't you do the one with cleavage?
  20. gongfuren GongJiZhe

Oh, I could compare just fine. I think it's just because I am a bit of a perfectionist, and I am sure that I cut out some of those red strings on accident, though it might be that I am just paranoid...

Also, what cleavage one?